Turmeric and Cholesterol
Cholesterol is quite a familiar word these days. One can easily find this word in the checklist of doctors, nutritionists & dieticians. Cholesterol is actually a substance found in the blood. The high quantity of this waxy substance does a lot of harm in the body which paves way for a varied range of diseases. There were times when people hardly felt the need to get the cholesterol levels checked. But with the increasing awareness in the field of health & fitness, it is determined as one important thing that has a quite significant role to play.
What is Cholesterol?Cholesterol is a type of fat that exists in our blood. It is produced by our body to fulfil its needs.
Cholesterol turns into a problem when we get it in an excess amount from the food. There are two different types of cholesterol that one should know-
1. LDL- It is low-density lipoprotein. This is the bad cholesterol. It affects the body and makes it more prone to diseases like heart stroke & heart attack.
2. HDL- It is high-density lipoprotein. This is categorised as good cholesterol. It is good for the body & rarely shows any negative impact on the body.
Adults are considered healthy with total cholesterol levels of less than 200mg/dL. LDL cholesterols should ideally be less than 100mg/dL. Ideal HDL cholesterol level is 60mg/dL or higher.
Why does human body need cholesterol?
Cholesterol is produced by the liver majorly to fulfil the requirements of the body. It is essential for the body as it helps in building cell walls, regulates hormones, and forms digestive bile juice.
Causes of High Cholesterol LevelsThe main reason behind high cholesterol levels in the body is too much intake of fat through fatty food. Consistent intake of such food accumulates cholesterol in the body. This accumulated cholesterol restricts the flow of blood through the process of atherosclerosis. In this process, the arteries narrow down that causes difficulty in the flow of blood.
Obesity is also a reason for high cholesterols in the body. People with too much fat on their body tend to struggle more with this problem. Liver or kidney issues contribute towards higher levels of cholesterol. Fluctuating hormonal levels also affect the levels of cholesterol in the body.
Symptoms of High CholesterolThere are no specific symptoms of high levels of cholesterol. Normally people think about the cholesterol problems only at the onset of diseases. Even dieticians & nutritionists get these tests done before diet recommendation because a small change in diet can alter cholesterol levels in the body. It is important to trace out the total cholesterol level in the body before starting any treatment.
Diagnosis of High Cholesterol levelsIt is important to ascertain cholesterol levels of the body timely as timely detection can lead to faster treatment. Consulting a doctor is best for getting the checkups done. The doctor needs to get a blood sample for testing purposes to determine cholesterol levels of the body. Patients are often instructed not to eat or drink anything for 12 hours before providing the blood sample. Cholesterol levels of heart patients must be checked frequently. Such tests can be done at home with the cholesterol home testing kits. These kits are available at a pharmacy store and can help people in keeping a track of the cholesterol levels.
5 Tips for preventing high cholesterol levels1. Eat cautiously- Taming cholesterol can be little difficult as it is largely found in fatty foods that people usually love eating. People who love indulging in meat, oily stuff, baked foods tend to have higher levels of cholesterol. Thus the first step to maintaining better cholesterol levels in the body is watching out food habits. Eat foods that are rich in fibre & are wholesome in nature. Oats, wheat, barley, green vegetables, nuts, fruits can really help in keeping a check on cholesterol.
2. Work out- People with high cholesterol levels must make a habit of regular exercise. Exercise helps in reducing the body fat. A simple exercise routine can keep cholesterol levels in check. A slim & less fatty body is always healthy enough to fight health issues. Yoga, aerobics, dancing activities or any movement that helps in maintaining the body weight should be regularly followed.
3. Natural Herbs- Natural herbs like turmeric, black pepper go a long way in maintaining the body weight. Such herbs are best to fight bad cholesterol & risk associated with high cholesterol levels. These herbs are easy to consume & are very helpful in improving health & longevity naturally.
4. Supervised Treatment- Last but not the least is medicinal treatment suggested by a good doctor. Always take medical advice before taking any medicine. Get the tests done before coming to any conclusion. Sort out this issue with the combination of a good doctor & nutritionist to make the body stronger & healthier.
It is important to understand the value of a healthy body before it is too late. Remember a small step can change your life drastically. Motivate yourself & motivate others to attain fitness goals! Begin now so that you are on the track of a healthy & fit lifestyle.